Maintaining Healthy Hair & Preventing Hair Loss
Dr. Patt and licensed clinician Sandy Fridge are not only concerned about helping patients fight the signs of aging, they’re also concerned about helping patients prevent hair loss. At Houston Center for Facial Plastic Surgery, we are proud to offer an array of effective and safe hair restoration products and procedures that help promote natural and thicker growth, as well as help maintain healthy hair while preventing future hair loss.
Understanding Hair Loss in Men
Hair loss affects about half of men by the age of 50. Initial balding can typically start as early as in the late twenties or early thirties. It is characterized by a receding hairline and the thinning of hair. The loss may become slightly visible on the temples and/or the crown. This tends to create a horseshoe shape on both sides of the head and the back. For some men, this loss progresses to complete baldness. However, this only affects a minority group.
Hair loss in men is inherited through genes, which means it is a biological phenomenon that runs in families. Studies have linked it to the presence of an excessive amount of a certain hormone. This contributes to oversensitive hair follicles.
Understanding Hair Loss in Women
Loss of hair can also affect a number of women, though the phenomenon can be significantly less for women as compared to men. Known as female-pattern baldness, the thinning typically occurs on the top of the head. However, it is unclear whether the baldness is triggered by hereditary or other factors, like medications. It is more prominent in women who have reached menopause (usually around age 52); and many experts are convinced that this may be due to the reduction of female hormones in the body before and during the menopause years.
Another major cause of hair loss for women is the use of certain prescribed medications, as well as the result of chemotherapy and other medically related treatments and procedures where thinning or baldness are a possible side effect.
Hair Restoration Products & Procedures
The great news is that the men and women of today have hope, as there are many options available these days to help deal with this sensitive issue. And because of new technology, many people can have healthy hair again. If you are affected by loss of hair in any way, feel free to seek the advice of a cosmetic physician, like Dr. Patt. During your initial consultation with him, you will quickly see that he has the capacity to diagnose your type of hair loss by assessing your scalp area to best determine the cause(s). In turn, Dr. Patt will make medical suggestions and recommendations for an effective treatment that may be best for you.
Some of the clinical treatment and product options available on the market that Dr. Patt may recommend include:
- Medications like Finasteride and Minoxidil. The latter is also effective for treating female-pattern baldness.
- Steroids- Conditions like alopecia areata, respond well to steroid injections. Alternatively, it’s possible to achieve optimal hair growth using steroid creams, ointments, or gels. All of which have been found to help stimulate hair follicles and promote hair restoration and growth in some patients.
- Hair care products- Dr. Patt has an array of shampoos/conditioners, hair growth vitamins, serums, and creams all designed to stimulate growth for thinning hair, and to maintain restored hair.
In other cases, and depending on the severity or type of loss a patient is experiencing, Dr. Patt or Sandy may recommend a procedure option.
- Immunotherapy is a procedure that entails stimulating hair growth by triggering an allergic reaction on targeted areas of the skin.
- LED light therapy is a non-invasive treatment option that is also known to be effective and has become popular for stimulating the hair follicles. Light therapy has also been recently approved by the FDA as a safe clinical procedure designed to stimulate blood flow in the scalp using a specific wavelength. This treatment option optimizes the blood immune responses resulting in an increase in the supply of vital oxygen and blood to every hair cell.
- Hair Transplant- Click hair transplant to learn more.
Dr. Patt’s Recommendations for Maintaining Healthy Hair
Once your hair has been restored, Dr. Patt and Sandy will assist you with recommendations on how to maintain healthy hair and prevent future hair loss. Most of the hair care products featured in our clinic provide effective means to maintaining hair so you don’t have to lose another strand. Contact us to schedule an appointment below, and learn which products and procedures will best meet your needs. Call us at (281) 649-7170.