The true reason for a nose job: ‘Everyone’s got one, yet many people don’t like theirs!’
Yes, we’re talking about a nose; and it knows that despite the amazing biological functions it facilitates, people find great dissatisfaction with it. In fact, the word “dissatisfaction” fails to capture how truly terrible some people feel about their nose.
Unbeknownst to much of the modern world, these feelings of ‘nasal hatred’ extend back to the ancient world. Evidence of a rhinoplasty “nose job” procedure exists in the Sushruta Samhita, one of the earliest existing medical texts from that time. Written by the Indian physician Sushruta, the procedure involved the following steps:
- Measure the portion of the nose to be covered with a leaf.
- Cut a portion of skin from the cheek without completely disconnecting the skin from the face.
- Cut the part of the nose that needs repair.
- Place the cheek skin and stitch the two pieces quickly. Make sure the skin remains elevated via the insertion of two tubes eranda, which is commonly known as the castor oil plant. This will give the nose the right shape.
- Once the skin is adjusted, sprinkle it with a powder made of barberry plant, licorice, and red sandal wood.
- Cover the area with cotton and constantly apply clean sesame oil to the area.
“Wow” might be a bit of an understatement. Even famous beauties like Marilyn Monroe underwent nose alterations.
What makes the nose such a point of obsession? Well, it’s just that. It’s the point— the main point— in the middle of everyone’s face. There’s no way to hide it. If it’s too big, or too flat, or crooked, people notice it immediately. No one commands the ability to ignore a focal point.
Even classic fiction texts and painting reveal concerns about appearance. It’s not a new obsession, but in today’s media driven world more people than ever worry about how they look because everyone’s face is front and center, along with their nose.
Reasons for a Nose Job
Rhinoplasty provides the following:
- Provides more nasal symmetry. However, because faces are not exactly symmetrical, a person’s nose shouldn’t be exactly symmetrical. It should just fit in with the rest of the face.
- Achieves facial balance by correcting the size of the nose.
- Adjusts the width of the nose bridge or by changing the size and position of the nostrils.
- Corrects humps or bridge depressions, thus improving the profile.
- Reshapes nasal tips that are too big or bulbous, hooked, upturned, and more.
- Reshapes nostrils that are too big, wide, or mis-angled.
- Rhinoplasty also corrects a deviated septum so that a person can breathe with ease, and reconstructs for the person who has had a terrible injury to their nose.
The reasons for undergoing this surgery can be purely cosmetic, but not all cosmetic procedures derive from concerns about appearance. Some rhinoplasty and other cosmetic procedure correct serious medical problems as well as injuries sustained in accidents or crimes.
No matter the reason, this surgery provides confidence, breathing or pain relief, and an improved quality of life.
How Surgeons Perform Nose jobs
Surgeons utilize two different methods when working on the nose.
The first one is Endonasal Rhinoplasty, or the closed approach. It involves making incisions on the inside of the nose. The second one is External Rhinoplasty, or the open approach. It involves making an incision across the columella which is the strip of skin that divides the nostrils.
For difficult issues such as cleft-lip corrections, the open approach offers the best results because many of the advanced technologies used in such procedures can only be utilized during an open procedure.
However, surgeons vary on their opinions about which technique works best for what. Therefore, it’s a good idea to sit down with your surgeon and ask why he or she feels a certain way. Asking for references and photos of past clients also provides great insight into whether or not their opinions prove valid.
A nose job never involves the use of a laser, except for resurfacing the skin on the nose if it needs to be smoothed, or for a disease called rhinophyma. This is when the dorsum, or top end part of the nose, looks excessively red and bulbous. Doctors once attributed it to alcohol abuse but is now believed to be a form of rosacea.
Therefore, rhinoplasty remains an actual surgery that involves cutting and healing, bringing us to our next topic.
Recovery times vary according to the procedure performed and the person’s health.
Patients must understand that the nose they leave the operating room with is not the nose they wind up having, meaning the nose undergoes significant changes after surgery. A great deal of work occurs simply from resting and waiting. The new nose must settle.
The swelling lasts a year for most people. However, it’s not noticeable swelling. It will be noticeable for a while, usually a week. After that, most people can get around without being noticeable.
But for the first week after a nose job, the swelling proves considerable; and if black eyes develop, it almost always occurs during this time.
Patients must follow their surgeon’s advice to the letter. This means gradually returning to normal activities rather than jumping right in. Even bending over to pick up a pillow can cause an issue so there shall be no deviation from the instructions.
Houston residents often lead busy lives which involve many public appearances related to work, even speaking engagements. Therefore, looking good is their only option.
To put their best face forward, many Houston men and women seek out a nose job for subtle refinement rather than drastic change. They commonly request that plastic surgeons remove bumps from their nose or correct asymmetry issues.
Research shows the fees included in the overall costs for rhinoplasty include:
- anesthesia fees,
- hospital or surgical facility fees,
- a surgeon’s fee,
- post-surgery gowns, and
Houston residents that are considering rhinoplasty need to consult with surgeons before undergoing any procedure. As mentioned previously, ask for photos of past clients. If a surgeon’s gallery consists mostly of breast implants, then you are not dealing with the right surgeon.
Find someone who commands a lot of experience with nose jobs. Write down your concerns and goals, then discuss them during a consultation. It is possible for doctors to provide a digital image of how a new nose will look. Houston rhinoplasty surgeons are top professionals in their field and will take the time to prepare patients. Talk to one of the best today! Contact Dr. Patt and schedule a consultation.